You are studying for an Australian Qualification

You are in Australia at the moment on a Student Visa and you hope to get Permanent Residence here after you have gained an Australian qualification as a result of 2 years of study here.

Let's explore which Visa you may be eligible to apply for.

In principle you can use SkillSelect to submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) in applying for

  1. a Skilled Independent Visa - subclass 189
  2. a Skilled Nominated Visa - subclass 190
  3. a Skilled Regional Nominated Visa - subclass 489

However, neither the Expression of Interest nor the visa application will grant you a Bridging A visa allowing you to remain lawfully in Australia while you are waiting for the outcome: to be able to stay in Australia you will need to apply for

  1. a Skilled GraduateVisa - subclass 485, or
  2. a Postgraduate Work Visa.

You may also be eligible to apply for an Employer-sponsored Visa (Subclass 457, 186 or 187), any of which will grant you a Bridging A visa and therefore permission to remain in Australia.

Need assistance or advice?

If there is something in your current situation that you would like to have clarified, or if you would like independent confirmation that, having finished your studies in Australia, you are eligible to apply for a Visa, call us on 8410 6262 to make an appointment if you are in Adelaide: we have a discounted consultation fee for international students in Adelaide. If you are interstate, with a detailed explanation of your situation with your Curriculum Vitae or Resumé as an attachment. Within 3 days of confirmation of payment of our consulation fee we will send you detailed and thorough advice by email and make a follow-up phone call to talk things through with you soon after.