Temporary Visas

If you want to come to Australia on temporary basis and would like to do something other than be a tourist or a student, you may want to consider one of the following temporary visas.

Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417)

Working while you are holidaying is a great way to help off-setthe cost of your travels. To apply for a working holiday visa you need to be between 18 and 30 and hold a passport from a country or region participating in the Working Holiday visa programBelgium, Canada, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong SAR, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Korea, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Taiwan, UK. A working holiday visa will let you work in Australia for 12 months in the first instance, but you can apply for a second working holiday visa if you plan to extend your holiday. However, you should not apply for this visa if your primary reason for coming to Australia is to work. Further details are available from the DIAC web site.

Occupational Trainee Visa (Subclass 442)

If you are looking to enhance your skills and experience through workplace training, then you may be eligible for an Occupational Trainee visa. In order to be eligible for this visa you will need to be sponsored and nominated by an Australian business or educational institution, or a State or Territory government agency.If you are in Australia studying on a student visa you may also be eligible for an Occupational Training visa, depending on your field of study. We have given further details of this visa on a separate page.

Business (Long Stay) Visa (Subclass 457)

The Business (Long Stay) visa is for people who are sponsored by an employer to work in Australia for up to four years but no less than three months. The sponsoring employer can be an Australian business or an overseas business operating within Australia and with positions available. We have given further details of this visa on a separate page.

Work and Holiday Visa (Subclass 462)

Depending on the country you are from, you may need a Work and Holiday visa rather than a Working Holiday visa. The Work and Holiday visa allows you to gain temporary or casual employment while you are holidaying in Australia. This visa program is aimed at developing and encouraging a cultural exchange and closer relationships with a number of specific countries. In order to apply for this visa you need to hold a passport for one of the countries participating in the Work and Holiday visa programChile, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Turkey and the USA. An arrangement with Bangladesh has also been signed, but is not yet in effect.. Further details are available from the DIAC web site

Professional Development Visa (Subclass 470)

A Professional Development visa allows you to undertake a professional development training program in Australia. You will need to be employed by an eligible business overseas or invited by a government agency of a foreign country, province or territory to take part in the program.We have given further details of this visa on a separate page.